Thursday 16 April 2009

The Geography of voting

What has geography got to do with it? Daniel Hannan complains that 85% of our laws are passed in Brussels by unelected officials. But what of the other 15% so they are made by first-past-the-post (unelected) officials in Westminster.

For those who live in Dumfries or Derrygonnelly what does it matter whether it's Brussels or Westminster. It's decisions by uncaring foreigners about the lives of people they will never meet.

The Liberal Democrats have always been in favour of EU unity and expansion but forget the real socialist spirit of such a unity: the Internationale of workers not the conglomeration of business and political interests.